Tim Zerillo is a Maine civil and criminal trial attorney. In 2019, Top Rated Local named his law firm the #1 law firm in Maine. Also in 2019, Tim Zerillo was listed in the "Best Lawyers In America." He been recognized by the National Trial Lawyers as one of their “Top 100” attorneys. He has been elected to “New England Super Lawyers” every year since 2010.
Attorney Zerillo's practice focuses primarily on criminal defense and civil litigation for plaintiffs and victims. Attorney Zerillo's career has reflected a strong commitment to represent the injured and the accused.
On the civil side of his practice, Attorney Zerillo regularly handles complex tort, personal injury, wrongful death and civil rights cases in which the damages to his clients have been significant. He has represented those who have suffered amputations, paralysis and other serious injuries in accidents that were not their fault. Prior to becoming a lawyer, Tim was an Allstate Insurance Company claims representative. He uses his knowledge of the insurance industry to help his clients achieve the best results for their injuries. He also handles complex "bet the house" business litigation and family disputes.
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- Maine Supreme Court
- United States District Court, District of Maine
- First Circuit Court of Appeals, Boston, Massachusetts
- Zerillo Law Firm, LLC 2017-present
- Managing Attorney
- Hallett, Zerillo & Whipple, P.A. Portland, Maine 2015-2017
- Managing Partner, Shareholder Attorney
- Zerillo Law, LLC Portland, Maine 2000 - 2014
- Managing Attorney
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Board of Directors, 2019-present.
- Maine Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Immediate Past President, 2010-2011, President, 2009-2010, President Elect, 2008-2009, Vice President, 2007-2008, Board of Directors, 2006-present, Continuing Legal Education Chairperson, 2007-Present.
- American Association of Financial Litigators, Founding Member, 2016-present.
- Maine Trial Lawyer's Association, member
- American Association for Justice, member
- Edward Gignoux Inn of Court, member 2008-2016
- Cumberland County Jail, Board of Visitors, (the Board of Visitors inspects the Jail and makes recommendations to the Sheriff as to matters affecting inmate and staff health and safety, as well as recommendations related to mentally ill inmates), 2012-present
Honors and Awards
- "Best Lawyers In America," White Collar Criminal Defense
- "Top Rated Local" Top Law Firm in Maine, 2019
- "New England Super Lawyers," 2010-present
- "National Trial Lawyers" Top 100, 2016 to present
- "Client's Choice" Award winner, 2017, 2014, AVVO.com
- President's Award Winner for 2012, "Maine Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers"
- "National Trial Lawyers," Top 40 Under 40, 2012
- New England Law, Boston, Massachusetts J.D. 2000
- Honors graduate
- Lead Counsel, ABA National Mock Trial Competition, Northeast Region
- C.A.L.I. “Award for Future Excellence,” Awarded by U.S. District Court Judge Gordon A. Martin
- University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire B.A. 1995
- English Major; Economics Concentration.
- Published Author: The New Hampshire, Main Street Magazine.
- "New York Rule to Hold Prosecutors Accountable for Discovery Violations Should Be Considered in Maine," Maine Lawyer's Review, January 11, 2018.
- “The Police Are Knocking On My Client's Door and I Don't Practice Criminal Law – What Do I Do?” Maine Lawyer's Review, May 24, 2012.
- “Confrontation Clause Update after Michigan v. Bryant,” Maine Lawyer's Review, May 5, 2011.
- “Confrontation Clause Rights in Maine in Domestic Violence Cases,” Maine Lawyers Review, September 9, 2010
- “President's Page,” the Maine Defender, Summer 2010.
- “Melendez-Diaz Requires Maine Restructure the State's Presentation of Evidence in Operating after Suspension Trials,” Maine Lawyer's Review, 2010
- “President's Page,” the Maine Defender, Spring 2010.
- “President's Page,” the Maine Defender, Winter 2010.
- “Pre-Charge Defense of Child Sexual Abuse Allegations,” Maine Lawyer's Review, 2009
- “President's Page,” the Maine Defender, Fall 2009.
- “Criminal Law: Go Beyond the Maine Criminal Rules for Exculpatory Evidence,” Maine Lawyer's Review, 2008
- “Criminal Law: Yes Virginia, Grand Jury Transcripts Do Exist,” Maine Lawyer's Review, 2007.
- “Beware the Adam Walsh Act,” The Maine Defender, 2007.
- “Equal Protection and Due Process in the First Circuit for Criminal Aliens in Deportation Proceedings: Another Reason to Vacation Overseas,” Timothy E. Zerillo, New England International and Comparative Law Annual, Vol. 7, 2001.
- United States of America vs. You: Inside the Federal Crackdown on Medical Marijuana Caregivers," Maine Homegrown, June 2018.
- Moderator, Cumberland County District Attorney Candidates Debate, Cumberland Bar Association, May 31, 2018.
- “How to Deal With the DEA,” Maine Homegrown, June 2017.
- “Using Written Jury Questionnaires to Win Your Case”, Maine Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, June 2017.
- “Ethical Issues in Opening Statements and Closing Arguments”, Maine Trial Lawyers Association, Maine Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, December 2016.
- “Defending Child Pornography Prosecutions,” Association of Federal Defense Attorneys, April 2014.
- “Collateral Consequences and Firearm Rights,” Maine Association of Criminal Defense Lawyer's Annual Seminar, May 31, 2012.
- “Domestic Violence: Collateral Consequences of Domestic Assault Convictions,” York Bar Association, October 26, 2011.
- Guest Lecturer, “Critical Issues in Criminal Justice,” St. Joseph's College, October 8, 2010
- “Zealous Advocacy in Criminal Defense,” York and Cumberland County Bar Associations, 2009
- Maine Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers CLE 2009 lecture on "Attacking the Medical Evidence in Child Sex Abuse Cases," 2009
- Maine Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers CLE "Hit Hard, Hit First: Criminal Defense for the Modern Practitioner," Speaker on "Ethical and Practical Considerations of Replacement Counsel," June 5, 2008
- Speaker on topic of "New Horizons in Setting Conditions of Release", York and Cumberland County Bar Association, 2008
Selected Appellate Decisions
- State of Maine v. Robert Forbes, 830 A.2d 417 (Maine Supreme Court 2003)
- Leonard v. Boardman, 854 A.2d 869 (Maine Supreme Court 2004)
- Cox v. Hainey, 391 F.2d 25 (1st Cir. 2004)
- United States v. Tanya Grover, 04-1942 (1st Cir. 2004)
- Wildes v. Cumberland County, 04-546 (Maine Supreme Court 2004)
- United States v. Charles Stergois, 05-1599 (1st Cir. 2005)
- State of Maine v. Reno Metzger - 2010 ME 67 (Maine Supreme Court 2010)
- State of Maine v. Garrett Cheney, 55 A.3d 473 (Me. 2012)
- United States v. Campbell, et. al. 741 F.3d 251 (1st 2013)
- United States v. Royce Breton, 740 F.3d 1 (1st 2014)
- State of Maine v. Fahnley, --- A.3d ----(Me. 2015)
- In Re: Grand Jury Proceedings … (1st 2015) (argued, decision pending)
- Vladek Filler v. Mary Kellett (1st Cir 2017)
Other Professional Experience
- Saint Joseph's College, Standish, Maine 2001-2002
- Adjunct Professor, Business Department
- Professor of Business Ethics, an upper-class Business Department course.
- Allstate Insurance Company, South Portland, Maine 1995-1997
- Claims Representative
- Handled hundreds of personal injury and property damage claims for both automobile and homeowner's insurance policies.